Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Collaborative and Distance Communication Platforms

Today, I’m going to talk about the social media platform that is very near and dear to my heart: Skype. Just for a small explanation, Small Business Chron describes Skype as a “hybrid instant messaging and voice chat application that allows users to connect with one another from any global location with internet access. With over 663 million users, Skype is one of the most popular communication systems in the world.”

Skype is actually extremely helpful for businesses. On the Skype blog, five benefits are listed for companies: (1) Cut the cost of your business calls, (2) Keep track of your expenditures, (3) Reduce your business travel costs, (4) Stay in touch with colleagues, (5) Stay in touch with customers. One of the best benefits that were listed is for businesses to cut the cost of business calls; I’m talking about international businesses. International calls are EXTREMELY expensive; Skype is free and it also gives the opportunity to be face to face instead of just voices on a phone call which increases customer service.   


So why does Skype mean so much to me? Well, it has helped me maintain relationships more than any social media platform ever has. Growing up in the LDS religion, I have had many close people go on missions. A few years ago, missionaries started being able to use Skype. At the time, my closest brother Caden was on a mission in Puebla, Mexico. He was able to Skype me and my family twice a year on Christmas and Mother’s Day. I remember looking forward to being able to finally physically see him, almost like he was in the room with us. Right after he came home, my boyfriend, Austin, left on a mission to Santiago, Chile. Both of us were extremely worried about what the two years of being apart would do to our relationship. But, about every six months we were able to see each other because of Skype. I know that it doesn’t seem like a lot to only see someone you love twice a year, but it is what helped us to maintain our close relationship. Now, Austin is home, and we are planning on getting married this summer.


Sources: 

1 comment:

  1. Good read Kal! I like how you put in the benefits of Skype. I myself have a many people go on LDS missions. My brother being one of them and being able to Skype him was amazing. It it so awesome how technology has advanced and it helps relationships and even business!

    ReplyDelete