Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Class Cloud

A couple weeks ago, in my social media class, we spent the last half of class on the “cloud” where we only talked via Twitter. I honestly don’t think I’ve experienced this much fun while sitting in class. Everyone was super into talking to each other, as well as giving opinions on certain topics.

 What I found the most interesting was which topics got the most response from the class. For example, the two posts that got the most feedback that I was involved in had something to do with famous people. The first was when Adrian Bustamante posted about Donald Trump. It was actually the first post that I wanted to participate in because it’s such a hot topic right now among all media outlets. The second was when Michelle Booth posted a funny comment and picture about famous actress Amanda Bynes. I felt like I HAD to respond to this post because I wanted to be a part of the hilarious conversation.


This experience really taught me a lesson about what I post on social media. Although it was a very fun and awesome assignment in class, I can now definitely understand how things can get out of hand on a social media platform. With all of the platforms that we have today, and everyday more are being created, it’s very easy to get carried away with what we post. The internet is unforgiving, once you post something it will never go away. I honestly wish that every person with a social media account could do this assignment so that they could see how fast posting, responding, and sharing actually happens.


When you make a post on social media, it almost feels like it isn’t real because you don’t actually see how people respond to it. As I sat in class while we were posting on Twitter, I was able to see the emotional responses that people had to all of the posts. Now in this case, everyone was pretty much laughing at everything that was being posted because we were all in a classroom together so no one wanted to post anything that was a really sensitive or controversial subject. If every social media user had to sit in a classroom full of people watching what they post, all of the awful stuff that gets posted on platforms would never happen. Especially when it comes to cyberbullying; people only bully on the internet because they can’t see the emotional reactions that they cause. I think that this assignment would do a lot of good in middle school and high schools to prove a point to social media users that there is always someone looking at their post on the other end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment