Social media is a great
way to connect with people that we know. It offers a lot of benefits for those
who are trying to maintain relationships. One of the features that continues to
grow in popularity is geotagging. Digital
Trends defines geotagging as “the process of attaching location information
to content such as a photograph or video (for example, when you shoot and
upload a photo to Facebook with the location of your whereabouts).” It’s a
really cool feature that gives us the opportunity to be even more social with
our friends, but what about those who aren’t our friends that can see our
locations?
In the same Digital Trends
article, they raise an important question: while you are letting friends and
family know where you are with your posts, is it worth the risk of being a
victim of a crime? Burglars and stalkers can easily track you through
geotagging. If you post a picture with your whole family with a geotag saying
you’re in Hawaii, if the burglar knows your address, he/she can rob your house.
And for obvious reasons, a stalker can easily find you through geotagging.
I am absolutely not trying
to scare anyone into not doing what they want, but I do think that it’s smart to
always be aware of what you are doing when it comes to social media. As I
researched geotagging, I came across a great article produced by AVG Now that
not only says what to be aware of, but it also lists a few ways that you can
protect yourself.
So first, a few things
that you need to know about geotagging:
1.
Photos can
contain location information stored in metadata (EXIF data) within the image
itself.
2.
Location data can
be automatically applied to your GPS enabled smartphone photos.
3.
The location data
usually includes the precise GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken, as
well as the time and date it was captured.
Most importantly, here are
a few ways to protect your privacy:
1.
Disable location
services on your mobile devices.
2.
Remove EXIF data
from images before uploading to social media networks or file sharing sites.
3.
Be aware of location
options in apps or online services and social media.
Social media is such an
awesome tool, but please remember to be aware of all of the possible consequences
whenever you post. Be safe out there!
Sources:
I didn't know that about metadata! It's crazy that location info can be found just in the data from the image itself!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great blog post! I didn't even know what geotagging was, and now I have so much information! Though privacy can be a scary thing, social media really has so many benefits as long as we are careful. Thanks Kallie
ReplyDeleteI liked how you focused on the privacy with geotagging. I liked how you mentioned how geotagging can benefit you and also how it could effect you if it wasn't used properly. Good job!
ReplyDeleteHow cow, I did research on geotagging for my post and I'm pretty sure your article taught me more than things I found online. Ha, maybe I just wasn't searching for the right thing. Well written article.
ReplyDelete