I find it extremely
interesting how well organizations can use social media platforms to connect to
their audience. What I find particularly intriguing is how an unexpected organization,
religion, has been using social media. For example, if you live in Utah, I’m
sure you have noticed that every time there is a General Conference held for
the LDS church, the hashtag #ldsconf circulates like wildfire. According to a
KSL article, the hashtag on social media allows members (or those watching) to
connect and discuss the conference with people from around the world. The
stream moves extremely quick because of the popularity of the hashtag, but many
people actually look into the LDS church because of it.
World Religion News
actually listed 5 ways social media connects religion to younger generations. 1)
Prayer Apps. Uhm, what?! I had no idea that prayer apps existed but it
definitely makes sense. Apps like praywithme.com and instapray.com give people
an opportunity to share in each other’s prayer needs. 2) Capture Miracles in
Real Time. Social media gives people an outlet to share uplifting stories, or
miracles, IMMEDIATELY after they have occurred. 3) The Big Three (Facebook,
Instagram, Twitter). These big social media platforms enable users to find and
build online relationships with like-minded individuals. It also makes it
easier for users to express themselves spiritually in religiously diverse
communities (which hopefully doesn’t create a dramatic backlash). 4) The
YouTube Effect. YouTube, or any other outlet where you can share videos, makes
it easier for choirs, church pastors, and young performers to share their faith
with a large-scale audience. Users can now find their favorite hymn, church
talk, etc. on basically any platform. 5) Digital Communication. Smartphones,
and other digital devices, create an avenue for users to download different
religious apps (such as the Bible, Book of Mormon, etc.). This helps religious
organizations to connect with the younger generation on their terms.
Although hardly anyone
immediately relates religion with social media, religious organizations
actually use it pretty well to connect with their audience. This goes to show that
any organization can use social media to their advantage, as long as they
actually know how to properly execute it.
Sources:
I actually did my blog post on religion as well. I found it surprising how much religions do use social media, and I wasn't even really aware of it until I worked on this assignment. Pretty good use of social media I think!
ReplyDelete